Monday, March 15, 2010

Scenes from Colombo, Sri Lanka
















One of the first things to strike me about Colombo was how similar it is to a West African city. Having grown up in West Africa, I couldn't help but notice trees and shrubs I'd known all my life, flourishing in Colombo. From the palm trees, to the 'forget-me-nots' and indian almonds, the environment made me feel right at home! There was also a considerable amount of chaos on the streets and in the built environment along some streets that also seemed vaguely familiar. One conspicuous difference was the use of motorized rick-shaws (known as 'tuk-tuks') that are yet to hit the streets of West Africa.
Colombo is an interesting city with a mix of colonial style buildings dating from the 'British era', to more modern, high-rise contemporary buildings, juxtaposed with each other in a seemingly haphazard manner.
Our time in Colombo was memorable and we had the chance to visit some lovely restaurants and hotels, the national museum, Galle Face Park, shopping centers and the nearby Bentota Beach Resort.
Hopefully, we'll have the chance to visit again someday to spend more time on this delightful and enchanted island.


1 comment:

  1. Michael your photos are beautiful. I shall return to this website often to see cities and architecture through your lenses.

    ReplyDelete